Dallas, Pennsylvania (January 21, 2023) – Elementary Alex Ratner A career-high 22 points came off the bench, but the Stevens Institute of Technology men’s basketball team couldn’t get over a first-half loss, an 82-65 loss to Misseri Cody at the Anderson Center on Saturday at the MAC Freedom Asia University.
second grade Jack Spellman Recorded his seventh double-double of the season with 13 points and 13 rebounds and first year Matt Lemming Added 11 points and three rebounds for the Ducks, who fell to 8-10 this year and 5-4 in division play for the fourth straight time.
Kevin Lazdowksy scored a game-high 29 points and Joseph Baldachino hit four 3-pointers for 22 points to lead Misericordia, which snapped a two-game losing streak to improve to 9-8 on the year and win the playoffs. 4-5 lead. MAC Free.
Ratner and Spellman took turns leading the Ducks’ offense. In the first half, Ratner made 5 of 5 free throws and 3 of 6 shots in the field, scoring 12 points. It was Spellman’s turn to lead the team in the second half. The New Jersey native scored 11 points on 3-of-5 shooting from the field and 4-of-6 free throws. Spellman continued to lead the Ducks in scoring and rebounding, while Ratner scored in double figures for the second time in his career.
Unfortunately for the Ducks, Misericordia got off to a strong start in the game, making three field goals on their first four attempts, including a pair of 3-pointers, to take an 8-2 lead. The Cougars shot 51.4 percent (18 of 25) from the field in the first half, building a lead of as many as 19 points in the first 20 minutes of the game. As part of Misericordia’s first-half performance, the Cougars took four consecutive shots and then turned their next shot into a second chance, a 3-pointer, after Lazdowsky was fouled while converting his own offensive rebound.
Ratner beat the Ducks in the closing minutes of the first half. The Marlboro, NJ native’s 3-pointer sparked an 8-0 run that brought Stevens back within 11 points. Stevens seemed to be gaining momentum heading into the break, but Misericordia’s RJ Weise hit a buzzer jumper 3-pointer from the right wing, his only basket of the night, pushing the Cougars’ advantage back to 14. Valdacino would hit a long-range 3-pointer at the first basket of the second half and contributed six points.
Long range shots by Leming and Spellman were part of a 7-0 run as the Ducks pulled within 11 points. Connor Coffey A layup later cut the deficit to eight, but the Cougars went 6-for-6 from the field over the next two minutes to keep Stevens from getting any closer. Misericordia pushed the lead back to 16 with a 7-0 run to extend the lead to 21 before Ratner and Spellman hit consecutive shots in the final two minutes to provide the final score.
- Misericordia won the rebounding battle 40-32, including a narrow 9-8 on the offensive glass. A small advantage on the offensive glass gave Misericordia a 10-6 advantage in second-chance scoring.
- Misericordia went 15-for-16 from the field, including 13-for-14 in the second half.
- Stevens made four 3-pointers per half.
- Advanced Brett Bishoppin Recorded the Ducks’ only block of the game.
- primary mike goodall Finished with a game-high five assists
- The Ducks committed just seven turnovers.
- The men’s basketball team returns to Canavan Arena on Jan. 25 for a meeting with Delaware Valley.
- The Ducks defeated the Aggies 67-50 in Doylestown on Nov. 30 and won four of five games in the historic series. The Aggies’ only win over Stevens came via forfeit on Jan. 12, 2022.
- Links to live stats and videos are posted on StevensDucks.com.
Facebook: “Like” Stevens Athletics