LOUISVILLE, KY – The Louisville men’s basketball program suffered yet another crushing loss in the ACC, this time in a 75-54 loss to the surprisingly competitive Pitt.
The Atlantic Coast Conference put together highlights from the game, which you can watch here:
- UofL used a starting lineup of El Ellis, Mike James, Jae’Lyn Withers, Kamari Lands and Sydney Curry for the first game of the season. This lineup is now 0-1 this season.
- Crucial first-half play: The Cardinals traded points back and forth with the Panthers for the first five minutes of the game, nearly three minutes into a tie. Louisville’s 7-0 run over 3:16 gave the Cardinals a 14-10 lead.
- After a 19-2 run that lasted four and a half minutes, the Panthers took a 29-16 lead. Three three-pointers from Nike Sibande lead the way.
- Crucial second-half play: Louisville cut its lead to seven with 15:15 left on a 3-pointer by Ellis.
- With 9:03 left in the game, the Panthers made 5 of 7 shots to extend their lead to 59-45.
- UofL went 19-for-56 from the field (.339), 5-for-20 from 3-point range (.250) and 11-for-13 from the free-throw line (.846).
- The Cardinals outscored their opponents in the paint for the sixth time this season, beating the Panthers 24-20.
- Louisville is shooting 84.6 percent from the free-throw line, their fifth game this season to hit 80 percent or better.
- The Cardinals grabbed 11 offensive rebounds, their ninth double-digit offensive rebound of the season.
- Louisville beat the Panthers 34-33. It was the Cardinals’ sixth rebound of the season and the fourth time in five games that a UofL team has grabbed more offensive rebounds than its opponent (11-7).
scroll to continue
Notice to Players:
- The senior scored 19 points, his 11th straight game in double figures and his 17th in 19 games this season. Ellis had a team-high five assists and two rebounds in 38 minutes.
- The guard had at least one steal in his ninth straight game and went 5-for-5 from the free-throw line for the fourth time this season when he hit 100 percent from the line.
- JJ Traynor
- The junior had a career-high 14 points, his second double-digit game of the season. He shot 6-for-9 from the field and hit a career high in number of field goal attempts, marking the fourth time this season that he shot 60 percent or better from the field.
- The forward had a total of 6 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 steal in 30 minutes of action.
- Jaline Withers
- The redshirt junior had eight points and recorded a team-high seven rebounds.
- The striker had a tackle in 26 minutes of action.
- Sydney Curry
- The senior had four points and four rebounds in 23 minutes of action.
- mike james
- The redshirt freshman had 5 points and 4 rebounds.
- The guard made 2 of 2 shots from the free throw line and played 35 minutes.
notes: Photo courtesy of Cindy Rice Shelton, Louisville Report
You can follow The Louisville Report for future coverage via: Like us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram:
Facebook – @LouisvilleReport
Twitter – @UofLReport
Instagram – @louisville_report
You can also follow Associate Editor Matthew McGavic at @Matt_McGavic on twitter