MOODY, Alabama (WBRC) – It’s the 52nd day the fire at the Moody Landfill continues.
Dr. Kre Johnson of Brownstone Healthcare and Aesthetics, whose home and practice are in Trussville, was affected by the fire. She has also seen a spike in patient health problems.
“Asthma attack,” Dr. Johnson said. “My asthma isn’t under control like it usually is this time of year. My allergies are worse and I’ve even had nosebleeds. So those are some of the things we don’t have to deal with for these patients at this time of year.”
You should document any health changes you notice and contact your doctor if these problems persist, says Dr. Johnson.
“Maybe in the last 30 to 45 days after this fire, all of these symptoms were a problem,” Dr. Johnson said. “So, talk to your doctor and see if there’s some sort of parallel. Make sure you document that. Be as thorough as possible, because you’re the patient. You’re your number one advocate and your family’s.”
Candis Austin, a Trussville realtor and homeowner, is concerned for the health of her family and neighbors as the landfill fire continues.
“We can smell it. It’s very unique. It smells different every night,” says Austin. “They’re having a hard time. From kids to pets. They’re complaining of nosebleeds. Debilitating migraines. One woman says she has a red eye problem. Coughs they can’t get rid of.”
To learn more about Brownstone Healthcare visit their website here.
Get news alerts in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store, or sign up for our email newsletter here.
Copyright 2023 WBRC. all rights reserved.